What's Cooking in Carolina?

Mainly creative menus and recipes (usually healthy) and always from scratch with tips for party planning, theme parties, weddings and decorating tips so you can give swank parties or dinners to delight your guests from a part time caterer, owner/operator of a coming soon Entree Vous, but mainly a cook and eater who grows much of her own food and loves to laugh.

Sunday, July 01, 2007

Leslie's Green Beans

We are starting to get some things in from the garden. Potatoes and peas are about finished. We are harvesting squash, cucumbers and green beans mostly. I had a big picking of green beans and decided to try a wonderful recipe that I have had for years from my friend Leslie. It is Asian inspired so I briefly marinated two beef fillets, cooked up some Jasmine rice and served it with fresh green beans. I cut up a cucumber in rice vinegar with a touch of soy, sugar, oil and green onions.

It was great. Ginger was in two and green onions in three of the dishes helping to tie the flavors together.

Without further adieu,

Leslie's Green Bean Recipe



1 lb green beans, trimmed
6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
oil for frying
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 large green onion, thinly sliced
2 T rice wine vinegar
2 t sugar
2 T sesame oil
2 T water

Fry the green beans in oil, 10-12 at a time, until blistered, but not brown. Drain and put into serving bowl. Repeat until all the beans are cooked. Mix together the remaining ingredients (soy sauce - water) until sugar in dissolved. Pour over the beans. Top with bacon crumbles and serve.

Another note, one of the benefits of writing a food blog is the new friends you meet that you know you have something in common with. The second is the collection of recipes that you build for yourself. I now find it easier to go to my website to find recipes. It's great.

I think this qualifies for Weekend Herb Blogging, hosted this week by the esteemed founder Kalyn at Kalyn's Kitchen. Be sure to check back in for the roundup to get new ideas for recipes from foodies around the world. It's better than some food magazines.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said…

    I agree totally with your comment that it's great to have a food blog as a place to store recipes for your own use. I use my own recipe archives all the time. Now I always know where the recipe is!

    Love the sound of the green beans with the Asian flavors. I love fresh green beans. I gave up on growing them though because I just can't use them up fast enough. Now I get those lovely thin beans from Costco.

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger Katie Zeller said…

    Green beans are my favorite summer vegetable! Mine are a long way from picking though.
    My mother always fixed them with bacon, butter and cream...need I say that they were good?
    Now I look for something a wee less caloric. Great recipe - it's been cut and pasted!

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger Helene said…

    Green beans are summer to me, and so I thank you for another recipe to try!! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Food Blog
Top Sites