What's Cooking in Carolina?

Mainly creative menus and recipes (usually healthy) and always from scratch with tips for party planning, theme parties, weddings and decorating tips so you can give swank parties or dinners to delight your guests from a part time caterer, owner/operator of a coming soon Entree Vous, but mainly a cook and eater who grows much of her own food and loves to laugh.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Father's Day

Fathers Day.

We went home to Virginia for father's day. It was in the mid-nineties and we grilled outside. My brother and his wife live at the (beautiful Carolina) coast and brought fresh grouper right off the boat as well as flounder and crab. We grilled half of the fish and fried the rest along with some hush puppies. Crab cakes with the lump crab meat. For sides we had cole slaw, two kinds of (new) potato salad (the potatoes were from my garden): old fashioned and new fashioned, the later with capers, green onions, mint and a lemon, mustard vinaigrette, grilled zucchini, yellow squash, onions and peppers, a fresh fruit and vegetable platter loaded up but the cucumbers, onions, radishes and tomatoes were from Mom and Dad's incredible garden. For desserts we had cupcakes made in ice cream cones, a blackberry cobbler and Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding.

Summertime.



Only one picture 'cause I forget my camera. Sorry. I know the crab cake recipe is on the website. I'll post my traditional potato salad recipe here. The picture is from the other potato salad and is from the left-overs I brought home. Not great but it'll have to do!

Traditional Southern Potato Salad

2 pounds new potatoes scrubbed and cubed
salt to taste
2 hard-cooked eggs, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup sweet relish
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon prepared mustard
1/2 tea celery seed
2 T parsley, diced

Cook potatoes until tender. Cool. Add eggs, celery, onion, relish and pepper to potatoes. Mix lightly.

In a separate jar add mayonnaise, 2 T juice from relish jar, mustard, pepper and celery seed. With lid on shake until well blended. Mix carefully in with potato mixture to blend adding parsley. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Taste for salt and add more, if necessary.

Note: I love this potato salad. However, in my family, one person doesn't like onions, another onions, relish, eggs and mayo. If I was going to satisfy everyone, I guess we'd have parsley potatoes and forget about the potato salad. I put in all in.

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads out there. I'm lucky to have mine. He's the best Dad in the whole wide world! Cheers!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Katie Zeller said…

    That;s how my mother...and I, make 'American' potato salad - except i have to use Dijon as I can't get the yellow salad mustard.
    If it ever starts feeling like summer here I'll make some!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Food Blog
Top Sites