What's Cooking in Carolina?

Mainly creative menus and recipes (usually healthy) and always from scratch with tips for party planning, theme parties, weddings and decorating tips so you can give swank parties or dinners to delight your guests from a part time caterer, owner/operator of a coming soon Entree Vous, but mainly a cook and eater who grows much of her own food and loves to laugh.

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Canning, Freezing and Peter Piper

Canning and Freezing

I finally got into the swing of summer, which for me is not vacationing but canning and freezing. My somewhat hectic schedule had me behind, but so was the garden and with the drought, meant not as much as it could have been. It was (yes, was) our best year yet for cantaloupe. There's a few left in the frig, but no more coming. Also a great year for pink eyed purple hulls. More than 2 gallons dried. Over the last week, I have canned tomatoes, salsa and pickled banana peppers with onions. Right now in the oven is concentrated gumbo solution (okra, bell peppers, onions, garlic, peppers) cooking down for freezing for gumbo during the chilly winter months. I thought you might enjoy the recipe for pickled banana peppers. I thought I posted it before, but checked and I only posted a promise to post. They are great to eat with greens or on sandwiches.



Pickled Banana Peppers

20-30 large banana peppers, stemmed, seeded and sliced
2-3 large sweet onions, peeled, halved, thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
1/4 cup salt
ice & water
2 cups sugar
1 t turmeric
1 t celery seed
1 T mustard seed
3/4 c white vinegar
3/4 c apple cider vinegar

In a large bowl, combine banana pepper slices, onions, garlic, salt; cover with ice and let stand several hours. Drain off the liquid and remove garlic. Combine sugar, spices and vinegar in a large pot and just bring to a boil. Add the banana peppers and onion slices and simmer about 5 minutes. Pack into clean, sterilized jars, first peppers and onions and covering with liquid, leaving 1/4-1/2" headroom. Put on lids, process in hot water bath (212) for 10 minutes.

Notes:
1.) I like to use banana peppers after they start to color, to make it prettier.
2.) You can put the garlic into the jars.
3.) I use this recipe for pickled onions, pickled jalapeƱos and bread and butter pickles.
4.) There is always to much liquid. Save it for the next batch.
5.) Most of the time, I do the amount of onions that looks right in the mixture.

I hope you'll try it! For more recipes, check out the website!

Cheers!

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger Katie Zeller said…

    I'm in the middle of making jam. I hate making jam - it's so precise and so damn hot! By the time the bit is cool enough for me to tell if it's setting the kettle is past done....
    But our fruit trees seem to like the rainy summer and went crazy. Today Pear Ginger Jam, tomorrow Apple Butter, and Dill Pickles. Then I'm done or I resort to parafin because I can't find lids for the jam jars....It's August, everyone's on holiday and the store shelves are bare....
    Your jars look lovely - it's a nice feeling when they're all lined up - done, isn't it?

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said…

    These peppers do sound delicious coming from a Southern kitchen. I live in Canada and always lament that it is too hot to do preserves. The saddest thing was when I gave all my jars away for lack of room...but I know they are being used lovingly...and I get the occasional return of a preserved goodie.

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Deborah Dowd said…

    That must be very rewarding to see those jars of pickles and produce lining the shelves. I remember both of my grandmothers storing bread and butter pickles, tomato jam,spiced peaches, all manner of tasty stores for the coming winter. The jars looked like multicolored jewels on the shelves!

     
  • At 4:26 AM, Blogger Emily said…

    Wow! That is amazing that you canned all of that! I've never learned how to preserve, but I would like to.

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi there you have a great blog,lovely recipes. Feel free to visit my blog too :)

    Jeena xx

    click here for food recipes

     
  • At 4:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my grandma use to do this

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Food Blog
Top Sites