What's Cooking in Carolina?

Mainly creative menus and recipes (usually healthy) and always from scratch with tips for party planning, theme parties, weddings and decorating tips so you can give swank parties or dinners to delight your guests from a part time caterer, owner/operator of a coming soon Entree Vous, but mainly a cook and eater who grows much of her own food and loves to laugh.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Duck!

I'm not big on cooking duck, in fact, I haven't cooked it in a very long time. I have had some incredibly good duck on more than one occasion cooked by our neighbor, Marne, a fabulous cook as well as at restaurants around the world. Why don't I cook it, you ask? Well, first, it is not readily available; you have to know when and where to find it. Second, it's not so much that I am intimidated by it, but I really am less familiar with it, than say chicken, which I can cut up into pieces with one eye closed. Third, when you have a diet plan that requires you to reduce the fat in your for life, duck is listed as one of the big no-no's.



So recently when scanning cook books, I came across several duck recipes in Bobby Flay's Grilling For Life. It said duck breast shouldn't be reserved for restaurant fare; that it was quick, easy and when skinned, was very low in fat. So a few days later when shopping through Whole Foods, I saw individually packaged, fresh duck breasts for sale at reasonable prices, I went for it. We made Balsamic Thyme Glazed Duck Breasts and served them with brown basmati rice with some of the balsamic glaze drizzled over it, broccoli and a garden salad; yes, with fresh lettuce that survived the cold and is alive and well in our garden only because we planted it in the fall. Amazing that we are now reaping the benefits. To round it all out, we had a touch of mango salsa. All-in-all, a great dinner. Imagine that? Duck and low fat too!

For recipes, you'll have to go to the website. I am going to Kentucky for my Entree Vous Training next week and probably can not post anything at all. If I can, I'll post a few pictures. By the time I get back, I should be able to tell you where my first kitchen is going to be. Please check it out.

Love ya! Cheers,

Pookah

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Katie said…

    Mon mari cooks the duck breast on the barbecue - unskinned. You have to be careful not to be under trees 'cause the flames shoot up about 4 feet! He loves it!
    We trim whatever fat is left before serving... Medium-rare - better than steak...and leaner!

     
  • At 4:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love eating duck and frequently order it if it's on the menu at restaurants. But like you, it's not a meat I cook often at home. Thanks for you comment on my site. I can't tell you what variety the figs that I used were. It was a combination of green skinned and purple ones. I've also added a link to your site. :)

     
  • At 3:10 PM, Blogger JMom said…

    I've never cooked duck for the same reason but I am a sucker for anything duck in a restaurant. Don't even say peking duck :-)

    Funny thing is, it's all the fat, I think, that gives it so much flavor. Yumm!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Food Blog
Top Sites