What's Cooking in Carolina?

Mainly creative menus and recipes (usually healthy) and always from scratch with tips for party planning, theme parties, weddings and decorating tips so you can give swank parties or dinners to delight your guests from a part time caterer, owner/operator of a coming soon Entree Vous, but mainly a cook and eater who grows much of her own food and loves to laugh.

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Leeks



This Weekend Herb Blogging is hosted this week by The Chocolate Lady: In Mol Araan. Be sure to check out her round-up late Sunday or early Monday where you will here about food from around the globe!

Leeks, according to The Food Lover's Companion, are native to the Mediterranean countries, and have been prized by gourmets for thousands of years (wow). Nero believed leeks would improve his singing voice and is said to have eaten prodigious amounts quantities to that end. (nothing, I'm afraid, could improve this singing voice). In the sixth century AD (wow, again), the Welsh made leeks their national symbol because they were convinced that the leeks they wore on their helmets to distinguish them from their enemies strengthened them and helped them win wars.




I just like them, like I like onions and garlic to which they are kin. I just mentioned that I have been braising leeks of late. Last night we had yet another new dish, this one from Joanne Weir's From Tapas to Meze. It is Savory Chicken Leek and Feta Pie with Mountain Herbs. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it? With a salad it sounds like a perfect dinner. I can tell you that it smells and tastes divine with parsley, dill and mint mixed with chicken, sautéed leeks, green onions, feta and Parmesan cheese. You could make it with phyllo as well.



The only other thing you really need to know about them is they always need to be cleaned. Lots of people like to cut them up and soak them in water to remove the grit between the leaves. I like to cut them length-wise and hold them under running water separating the outer leaves where most of the dirt hides.

Leek and Potato Soup is a well known favorite, vichyssoise, served cold but I like it hot; a good thing for a cold winter night.

Go to our website for Swank Recipes and until next time, Cheers! Stay warm.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 2:18 PM, Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said…

    This looks wonderful--I am crazy about leeks and vegetable pies. Is there a link to the recipe somewhere?

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger Pookah said…

    I didn't list the recipe since it is, for the most part, directly out of the cookbook. In brief, saute 6 chopped leeks with a bunch of chopped green onions. Mix in parsley (1/4 c), dill (1/3 c), and 2 T mint, 1 used 1/2 cooked chicken, 5 oz feta, 2 T parmesan, 2 egg yolks. Use your own pie crust or check out my whole wheat pie crust or use phyllo. enjoy!

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said…

    This looks just wonderful. I think it's perfectly ok to reprint a recipe from a cookbook, as long as you give them credit. I do it all the time (of course I never follow the recipes exactly, but that's another story.)

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger JMom said…

    what a great idea, leek pie! I've only made leek soups, so I will definitely try this one. Did you get the leeks from your garden? I was surprised when I went out back the other day that there were still some surviving leeks in the middle of the bed. I was wondering if they hadn't gotten too tough to cook. I may just have to pull them up and find out so I can try out your recipe :)

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger JMom said…

    oh, and I do the same as Kalyn with recipes from cookbooks. I think it should be ok if you give credit.

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Pookah said…

    Hey Ladies,

    Thanks for your comments. When I get a chance, I'll post the recipe. BTW, Jmom, I quit planting leeks a few years back when we got thripps (sp?) from a garden load of manure. So mine are bought. Aren't you lucky to still have some in your garden after all the cold we've been having!

    Hope you like it as much as we did!

    Pookah

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Food Blog
Top Sites