What's Cooking in Carolina?

Mainly creative menus and recipes (usually healthy) and always from scratch with tips for party planning, theme parties, weddings and decorating tips so you can give swank parties or dinners to delight your guests from a part time caterer, owner/operator of a coming soon Entree Vous, but mainly a cook and eater who grows much of her own food and loves to laugh.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Chicken with Preserved Lemon and Olives

We've been on the road most of the week, but unlike most people who travel and eat out, I usually cook where ever I go. This week, I made meat balls for both spagetti and meatballs and Italian wedding soup. The recipe for the wedding soup is on the website at Swank Recipes.



For Weekend Herb Blogging this week hosted this week by the creator,
Kalyn at Kalyn's Kitchen, my ingredient is preserved lemons. I also have a recipe for that on the website. They are beautiful and easy to make and an indespensible addition to many Moroccan recipes. They have a silken texture and an indespensible flavor. If you haven't made them or used them before, you actually eat the skin and not the pulp.

My recipe this week is:


Chicken with Preserved Lemon and Olives


1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
1 onion
chopped 6 garlic cloves, smashed
1 tea cinnamon
salt and pepper
16 olives
1 1/2 whole preserved lemon, peeled and sliced

Cover the chicken with water and add onion, garlic, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Pressure cook for 30 minutes. (alternatively you can simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours). Cool and remove top of pressure cooker and continue cooking to reduce the liquid by about 1/3. Add olives and cook 15 minutes. Add lemon and serve with Cous Cous.


Serves 4-6.


Entrée Vous Update. I have been shopping for real estate and have narrowed it down and hope to make a decision this week. As soon as I know where it will be, you'll be the first to know.

Cheers,

Pookah

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said…

    Do keep us posted on the real estate. How fun, but also a lot of stress. This is a dish I've always wanted to try, and I've also been meaning to make preserved lemons for a long time now! I must admit, I've been looking for them in a store, but I guess I have to stop being lazy and just make my own.

     
  • At 5:35 AM, Blogger Helene said…

    This is a dish I have to try, but first of all I have to look for preserved lemons. :)

     
  • At 6:09 AM, Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Helene, preserving lemons is really easy to do:

    Swank Recipes - preserved lemons

    Ooooh, nice idea to add cinnamon and bay leaves! I have always used Patricia Wells' recipe for preserving lemons - simply lemons and salt... we just finished turning the lemons and they're in the fridge just waiting to be used. I'm really looking forward to trying them with chicken and olives.

    -Elizabeth

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is a dish similar to one my Italian wife makes. Tasy tasy!
    Olives and oil Italy

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger Gattina Cheung said…

    What a beautiful chicken! Yes, I have to try that preserved lemon some days!

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Blogger Katie said…

    Next on my list is to make preserved lemons.....so I can make this chicken. I like the bit of cinnamon....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Food Blog
Top Sites