What's Cooking in Carolina?

Mainly creative menus and recipes (usually healthy) and always from scratch with tips for party planning, theme parties, weddings and decorating tips so you can give swank parties or dinners to delight your guests from a part time caterer, owner/operator of a coming soon Entree Vous, but mainly a cook and eater who grows much of her own food and loves to laugh.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Okra

Okra is coming in full steam. For those of you that have never grown okra, what that means is that if you forget to pick them at least every other day, they end up being the size of your arm. Okay, I know that it's a southern thing and I know many people don't like it and claim it's because it's slimy. It doesn't have to be and I think if given a chance, everyone could find a way to love it. The easiest way to fall for okra is fried. It is very simple to do. You cut the ends off and slice it into pieces about 1/2" thick, dip them in beaten egg, then in corn meal and sauté them in oil, or deep fry them. That's the typical way to do it. I, on the other hand, try to minimize the amount of frying to reduce the amount of fat in out diet. So I take the cornmeal coated okra and put them in a single layer on parchment on a sheet pan and cook in a 350 oven for about 30 minutes, spraying with olive oil spray and turning about 1/2 way thought the cooking. Salt it lightly after you take it from the oven. It is crunchy and yummy, like popcorn. (Side note: I do the same for fish, except that I salt and pepper it and dip it in buttermilk, then cornmeal, then into the oven).
The picture is fired okra that's not fried, fried fish that's not fried and corn pudding, which is our recipe of the week on the website, if you want to check it out. Swank Recipes

Other ways we like to cook okra:

Sautéed with onions, tomatoes and corn and hot peppers

Okra with bacon and rice
Okra poppers, filled with jack cheese, coated with egg, corn meal and deep fried
Okra Gumbo (see previous blog on that subject)
Pickled Okra


It goes in any vegetable soup and makes it better! returns home to Kaylyn's Kitchen this weekend. Check it out for great ideas on food, herbs and gardening.

That's all for today!

P

3 Comments:

  • At 4:28 PM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said…

    I think I've only had okra in gumbo (which I love) but I'd love to try it fried. I figure all those southerners can't be wrong!

     
  • At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey do I ever love okra!

    I will try it baked because I need to cut back a bit lately and I've never tried it that way.

    Thanks for some great ideas.

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger JMom said…

    hi P! I'm drowning in okra too, but have been resisting frying them. I like this idea of oven fried okra! I think I'll check out your other recipes too, especially the pickled one. I have never tried doing that before.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Food Blog
Top Sites