What's Cooking in Carolina?

Mainly creative menus and recipes (usually healthy) and always from scratch with tips for party planning, theme parties, weddings and decorating tips so you can give swank parties or dinners to delight your guests from a part time caterer, owner/operator of a coming soon Entree Vous, but mainly a cook and eater who grows much of her own food and loves to laugh.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Planting and Cooking Potatoes

I need to talk about potatoes. Maybe it's because we just planted a few hundred feet of row of them in the garden. Maybe it is because we bought 50 pounds of them at $13.00 vs $0.50/lb. if we had bought them by the pound. Needless to say, we had some leftovers so we are eating potatoes, which is not a bad thing.

There are dozens of ways to cook potatoes. Some of my favorites are roasted with garlic and rosemary, mashed (plain, with roasted garlic or horseradish), baked or twice baked and potato salad. It is amazing to find out how many different ways people mash potatoes. It is funny, because we do them so many different ways. My favorite is with butter and buttermilk. I know it sounds funny, but the buttermilk adds a nice texture and tang. Try it just once. I can almost guarantee that you will love it, even if you don't like buttermilk.

There must be as many recipes for potato salad as there are cooks. I like it a few different ways: the first is old fashioned southern potato salad. As a young cook, I liked it loaded and each of my brothers and sisters wanted something left out (I don't like eggs, I don't like onions, etc.) Then don't eat potato salad, EAT POTATOES! I like my old fashioned potato salad with potatoes, minced or green onions, minced boiled eggs, chopped celery, and sweet pickle relish. I like to take mayonnaise and mix it with mustard, pickle juice, celery seed, salt and pepper and then mix that in with the cooked potatoes. Superb! I also like a potato/tuna salad with cooked potatoes, tuna, red onions, olives and artichokes with olive oil, salt and pepper and German potato salad. Recently I tried a recipe with yukon gold potatoes cooked in chicken broth and mixed with celery, onions, Westphalian ham, chives, and a bit of olive oil and lemon juice. It was very good.


Then there is potato soup. I particularly like baked potato soup. And a Spanish potato tortilla. Have you had that? Yummy! And scalloped potatoes.

I could go on and on but need to do other stuff. We are putting the recipe for twice
baked potatoes on the recipe of the week this week. swank recipes

If you want some of the others mentioned above before I have time to post them, feel free to ask and if I can write them up to send them to you, I am accomplishing two tasks: document them for you and posting. It might speed up the process.

Needless to say, we are not into low carb; we're into great tasting, healthy, slow
food and hope you will cook some, enjoy it and send us a note! If I have repeated a picture here from a previous blog, sorry. These were the only pictures I had of potatoes. I've been cooking and not taking pictures. Hopefully, it will give you some ideas on ways to cook potatoes.

Cheers!

1 Comments:

  • At 11:15 PM, Blogger JMom said…

    hi pookah! you ever tried blanching sweet potato tops and dress it with olive oil, garlic, a spritz of lemon and a dash of soy? it's yummy too :)

    You know I am having garden envy every time you talk about yours. lol!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Food Blog
Top Sites